Growing Nut Crops
BREXIT NOTE: In the event of a no-deal Brexit in March 2019 there will still be Visa-free travel for short visits for EU citizens visiting the UK. Many participants on this course come from the EU and we warmly welcome them!
This weekend course will cover all aspects of growing common and uncommon nut crops in Britain, Europe and North America. Course location: Dartington, Devon. It will run on the following date:
12 – 13 October 2019 (spaces available)
Growing Nut Crops – Course Outline
12-13 October 2019
Teaching sessions with Martin Crawford will be interspersed with visits to forest garden and trials site where several nut crops are grown. Several unusual nut crops will also be available to taste.
Common nuts covered are Chestnuts, Hazelnuts and Walnuts.
Less common species include Almonds, Butternuts, Heartnuts, Hickory nuts, Monkey puzzle, Oaks with edible acorns, Pine nuts.
Course size: up to 20 participants.
The course will run 9.30-5.00 on Saturday & 9.30-4.30 on Sunday
Course fees: £200 (non-residential) includes lunches (vegetarian) + teas/coffees etc.
Reduced rate places are sometimes available if you are low waged / unwaged – please enquire
You will be sent further course details and directions a month or so before the course.
If the course you are interested in is full and you are able to attend at short notice, please email us and we can put you on a reserve list in case of a cancellation.
If you want to purchase any books, seeds or plants when you are on the course, please let us know 2 weeks beforehand so that we can get them ready for you.
Food on the course
- A large selection of coffee, teas, herb teas, cows and soya milk, juice available throughout the day
- We provide a ‘help yourself’ buffet-style lunch.
- We support organic and local as much as we can.
- All the food is vegetarian – there will be 2 grain-based salads eg rice, quinoa, millet + a green salad each day.
- There will be local bread, ricecakes, oatcakes, nut butters, homemade jams and chutneys, homemade lentil and chestnut pate
- A selection of local cheese.
- Fresh fruit in season.
- Apart from the local cheese board, all food is suitable for vegans.
- There is a range of gluten-free dishes to choose
- Please note some salads contain nuts and food is prepared in a kitchen where food containing gluten is prepared.
Because of the big demand for our courses – and because we rely as a small charity on the income to survive – we have to apply this policy strictly.
In the event of the course being cancelled you will be completely refunded course fees. We cannot be held responsible for any other fees or costs.
In the event of you cancelling your place:
- prior to 6 weeks before the course you will get a 100% refund;
- 2-6 weeks before the course you will get a 50% refund, unless we can refill your place in which case you will get an 80% refund;
- less than 2 weeks before the course and you will not be due a refund unless we can refill the place, in which case you will get an 80% refund.
If you wish to change your booking to another date, assuming there is room, there may be a rebooking fee of £20, and/or an extra fee if delayed until the next year when course fees have increased.
12-13 October 2019