Forest Garden Greenhouse course – 7 April 2018
A forest garden greenhouse is a protected growing system, using the soil as a heat storage medium, to create a subtropical to tropical climate to grow tender crops. Since we started our own forest garden greenhouse there has been a lot of interest from folk wanting to build there own.
Although most people will be aiming to build a smaller design than the ART building, the principles of soil heat storage (the ‘climate battery’ system), air flow systems etc. are just the same.
On this one day course we’ll cover the design and technical details, practical issues and the species of trees, shrub and perennial suitable.
We will of course be visiting our own functioning forest garden greenhouse during the course.
Course size: up to 20 participants.
The course will run 9.30-5.00 on Saturday
(on the sunday morning there is an optional tour of the Dartington forest garden)
Course fees: £120 (non-residential) includes lunch (vegetarian) + teas/coffees etc.
You will be sent further course details and directions at least a month before the course.
If the course you are interested in is full and you are able to attend at short notice, please email us and we can put you on a reserve list in case of a cancellation.
If you want to purchase any books, seeds or plants when you are on the course, please let us know 2 weeks beforehand so that we can get them ready for you.
Food on the course
- A large selection of coffee, teas, herb teas, cows and soya milk, juice available throughout the day
- We provide a ‘help yourself’ buffet-style lunch.
- We support organic and local as much as we can.
- All the food is vegetarian – there will be 2 grain-based salads eg rice, quinoa, millet + a green salad each day.
- There will be local bread, ricecakes, oatcakes, nut butters, homemade jams and chutneys, homemade lentil and chestnut pate
- A selection of local cheese.
- Fresh fruit in season.
- Apart from the local cheese board, all food is suitable for vegans.
- There is a range of gluten-free dishes to choose
- Please note some salads contain nuts and food is prepared in a kitchen where food containing gluten is prepared.
Because of the big demand for our courses – and because we rely as a small charity on the income to survive – we have to apply this policy strictly.
In the event of the course being cancelled you will be completely refunded.
In the event of you cancelling your place:
- prior to 6 weeks before the course you will get a 100% refund;
- 2-6 weeks before the course you will get a 50% refund, unless we can refill your place in which case you will get an 80% refund;
- less than 2 weeks before the course and you will not be due a refund unless we can refill the place, in which case you will get an 80% refund.