International Forest Garden / Food Forest Symposium
Online May 31 – June 4 2021
If you have come to this page without registering for the symposium please continue from here.
A five day online international gathering of forest gardening and food forest practitioners and academic researchers
exploring the current state and future prospects for these sustainable land-use systems.
Bringing together people from five continents, this unique event is the first to gather leading practitioners and researchers to share their knowledge, passion and hopes for the complex agroforestry systems called forest gardens, food forests, home gardens and multistrata systems.
These systems have existed in the subtropics and tropics for thousands of years, but in cooler climates the history is measured in decades and although great strides have been made, there is still a lot to learn and refine.
Climate change due to greenhouse gas emissions is the greatest challenge humanity faces, and agriculture must become carbon negative in the near future. Already the evidence for very significant carbon sequestration and storage in forest garden systems is showing that they may be one of the best ways of combining crop production with carbon storage.
The focus will be on temperate and cool subtropical/Mediterranean systems, both rural and urban, and from very small to large. There will be presentations of current projects, discussions, networking opportunities, and some more philosophical musings about the role of forest gardens for a sustainable future.
With speakers already lined up from Australia, Austria, Chile, Denmark, France, India/USA, Italy, Netherlands, Sweden, UK and USA, this truly international gathering will be an exciting and dynamic meeting of many of the world’s leading experts in the field.
The symposium will now take place online, held with a professional online event platform to allow for excellent networking opportunities alongside live and on-demand presentations. Postponed from June 2020 due to covid-19, the online event has a number of advantages including:
- More inclusive (no travel or accommodation costs; no childcare issues)
- More main speakers (some could not make the dates previously / had clashes / could not travel)
- More ecologically sound (reduced carbon footprint)
- Enables a larger audience to have a larger impact
- We are spreading the event over 5 days instead of 3, and spreading out the content so it is not continuous – we all need some breaks from our screens!
- Ability to have ‘breakout rooms’ for discussions on popular topics
- There will still be an area for poster presentations
- Ability to text,audio or video chat with other delegates
For more information see symposium pages here
Register without accommodation, Register with simple accommodation