Forest Gardening – Course Outline
Teaching sessions with leading expert and author Martin Crawford will be interspersed with frequent visits into our world famous forest garden (started 1994) and a visit to our new site with two young forest gardens.
Practical information on tree crops, shrub crops, perennials and ground covers will be complemented with visits to our forest garden to look at our successes and failures, as well as to taste unusual leaf and fruit crops. See below for some of the endorsements we’ve had.
The course will run 2.00 pm – 5.00 pm on friday, 9.30-5.00 on Saturday & 9.30-4.30 on Sunday.
Course fees – £220 (non-residential) includes sat/sun lunches (vegetarian) + teas/coffees etc.
Reduced rate places are sometimes available if you are low waged / unwaged – please enquire
“Just wanted to say thanks for running such a great course. I feel as though lots of my questions have been answered and I’m really excited to start work on my own forest garden now. Your work is truly inspiring. “ AW, UK
“Many thanks once again for a wonderful course the other week. I learned a great deal and felt very energised and full of ideas upon my return” JH, UK
“Thank you again for the wonderful course in forest gardening. I went home inspired and with the maximum of useful practical information.” SW, Germany
“Just a quick note to say thanks so much for an excellent weekend. We learned so much and its really helped us to clarify the direction we want to go in with the land here.” NR, UK
“Thank you for a couple of very interesting days in Dartington. It was truly worth coming all the way from Denmark to learn from you and see your beautiful sites.” LM, Denmark
“Thank you for a truly wonderful weekend. I left feeling very inspired and encouraged.” EG, UK
“I would like to say thanks for the forest garden course. It was very inspiring, stimulating, informative and fruitful.” AG, Denmark.
Topics covered in the course include:
- First principles – natural forests – definition – growth layers
- Why Forest Gardening – benefits
- Design principles – questions – initial stages – collecting info
- Combining everything
- Design of clearings
- Design of edges – edge features – light (PAR) – types of edge – types of plants
- Design of hedges
- Design of paths
- Design of ground covers – functions – types
- Preparation – converting grass to ground cover
- Mulches – mulch types
- Seasonal maintenance
- Growing your own plants
- Species for clearings
- Species for edges
- Species for hedges
- Tree crops
- Shrub crops
- Perennial leaf crops
- Species for ground covers – paths – clearings – polycultures
- Annuals & biennials
- Root & bulb crops
- Fungi – below ground – above ground
- Plants for difficult sites
You will be sent further course details and directions a month or so before the course.
If the course you are interested in is full and you are able to attend at short notice, please email us and we can put you on a reserve list in case of a cancellation.
If you want to purchase any books, seeds or plants when you are on the course, please let us know 2 weeks beforehand so that we can get them ready for you.
Food on the course
- A large selection of coffee, teas, herb teas, cows and soya milk, juice available throughout the day
- We provide a ‘help yourself’ buffet-style lunch.
- We support organic and local as much as we can.
- All the food is vegetarian – there will be 2 grain-based salads eg rice, quinoa, millet + a green salad each day.
- There will be local bread, ricecakes, oatcakes, nut butters, homemade jams and chutneys, homemade lentil and chestnut pate
- A selection of local cheese.
- Fresh fruit in season.
- Apart from the local cheese board, all food is suitable for vegans.
- There is a range of gluten-free dishes to choose
- Please note some salads contain nuts and food is prepared in a kitchen where food containing gluten is prepared.
Because of the big demand for our courses – and because we rely as a small charity on the income to survive – we have to apply this policy strictly.
In the event of the course being cancelled you will be completely refunded course fees. We cannot be held responsible for any other fees or costs.
In the event of you cancelling your place:
- prior to 6 weeks before the course you will get a 100% refund;
- 2-6 weeks before the course you will get a 50% refund, unless we can refill your place in which case you will get an 80% refund;
- less than 2 weeks before the course and you will not be due a refund unless we can refill the place, in which case you will get an 80% refund.